Installing Charles Proxy on Windows
Use the following steps to install Charles proxy on windows.
- At first, go to the download page of the Charles proxy website from here.
- Download any of the MSI files for your 32 or 64-bit windows.
- Open the installation file and click on Next when the dialog box appears.
- Accept the terms in the License Agreement and go next.
- Choose the required folder for installation of the application.
- Now, click on Install to begin installing.
Setting up the Application for Recording Logs
Now, you have to set up the application for recording logs.
- Go to proxy menu and click on windows proxy or press Ctrl+Shift+P.
- Now, go to help menu, click on SSL proxying and then click on Install Charles root certificate.
- Click on Install certificate button located under the general tab.
- Choose the store location “current user” and click next.
- Choose the second option “Place all certificates in the following store” and click on Browser button.
- Select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and go next to complete the wizard.
- Now, click on Yes when confirmation message appears.
- Click on OK until the certificate dialog box closes.
- To verify the certificate after successfully installed, open certificate dialog box as mentioned in step 2.
- Go to the certification path tab and observe the certificate status “This certificate is OK”.
- To enable SSL proxy for SSL enabled web applications, go to the proxy menu and click on SSL Proxying settings.
- Click on Add button and enter the name of the domain or port number. Where domain name can be used with * symbol and the port number. For the websites with SSL certificate, the port number will be 443.
- Click on OK to close the dialog box.
Recording Logs with Charles Proxy
- When all the setup completes, go to file menu, click on the New session and click on start recording.
- You will see the blue circle on the website link while recording the log.
- Click on the stop to stop the recording
- To save recorded log, go to file menu and click on save.
Removing Installed Root CertificateUse the following steps if you want to remove Installed Root certificate after recording log.
- Search “certmgr.msc” from windows search and press enter.
- Open “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” folder and click on certificates.
- Search for Charles Proxy certificate and delete it.