Techniques for combating phishing attacks
Following are the best techniques for combating phishing attacks?
Businesses are worthwhile targets for fraudsters because of their valuable data. But thanks to some experts who shared successful tips to prevent phishing attacks. Below are ways to help you keep your data safe from scammers and other cybercriminals:
- Have the right tools and train employees on information security measures. Employees should have overall knowledge and credentials to uphold the security policies of the company. They also have to be aware of the phishing scams used to steal valuable information. Mock phishing scenes can be played to educate them on how to prevent these scams. Click here to know more about how your employees could effectively learn on how to combat phishing attacks.
- Establish secure internet browsing. Unsecured internet browsing is one of the reasons companies fall victim to phishing scams. There has to be a policy instituted in order to prevent websites from being compromised. Know the tricks of phishers and identify if an address is a reliable domain. Secure URLs employ https, otherwise, they are fraudulent.
- Defend private information against phishing attacks by using a layered security approach. Do not click on suspicious links or emails that bear malware and other phishing viruses. You can integrate spam filters in your email to determine malicious emails and prevent unauthorized access to sensitive information.
- Be cautious about emails. Emails that begin with ‘Dear Sir/Madam’ or any type of generic greetings might come from cyber-criminals. Legitimate companies and individuals usually address people by their name, for example, ‘Dear [NAME]’
- Be wary of emails that contain attachment links that redirect you to download document files from suspicious websites. You might download a virus that will damage your computer.
- Treat email passwords like keys to your kingdom. Use longer, unique passwords to prevent hackers from accessing your accounts. It’s also important to change your passwords on a regular basis. Never share these passwords with unauthorized employees. Before clicking on links, try it first on the address bar to see if it’s legit.
- Combat phishing attacks by using SSL Certificates. This will secure traffic going from and to your site. It means the information sent between the customer’s browser and the web server is secure. However, make sure that your security programs are updated and you have installed the latest patches.
It’s important to be very careful in every email that we receive for it might cause a big problem. The said tips above are just some of the many tips you can follow to combat phishing attacks. Remember, always double check if the source of the email and the sender is legit for you to prevent losing important information.