1) The process is ……..
A. an instance of a program in execution
B. a program only
C. a processor state
D. the kernel state
2) The mechanism that brings a page into memory only when it is needed is called …..
C. demand paging
D. page replacement
3) The two paradigms of IPC are ………… and …….
A. call, reply
B. shared memory, message passing
C. send, receive
D. call by value, call by reference
4) A program is passive while a process is ……….
5) FIFO scheduling is ……….
A. preemptive scheduling
B. non-preemptive scheduling
C. deadline scheduling
D. fair share scheduling
6) ……… ensures that once the transaction completes successively, the results of the operations become permanent.
7) A process is created and is initially put in the ……..
A. ready queue
B. device queue
C. i/o queue
D. waiting queue
8) Which directory implementation is used in most the Operating System?
A. single-level directory structure
B. two-level directory structure
C. tree directory structure
D. acyclic directory structure
9) Isolation property is also known as ………
10) A thread is a ……….
D. lightweight process
11) The interval from the fine submission of a process to the time of completion is the ……
A. waiting time
B. blocked time
C. turnaround time
D. response time
12) The term “Operating System” means ……….
A. a set of programs that controls computer working
B. the way a computer operator works
C. conversion of a high-level language into a machine-level language
D. the way a floppy disk drive operates
13) Generally we have user-level threads and ………..
A. Programmer-level thread
B. kernel-level thread
C. program-level thread
D. process level thread
14) To ensure that the ……… condition never occurs in the system, we must guarantee that, whenever a process requests a resource, it does not have any other resource.
A. mutual exclusion
C. circular waits
D. hold and wait
15) Resource locking ……..
A. allows multiple tasks to simultaneously use resource
B. forces only on task to use any resource at any time
C. can easily cause a deadlock condition
D. is not used for disk drives
16) A program responsible for assigning the CPU to the process that has been selected by the short-term scheduler is known as ………
17) The ………. instruct the Kernel to do various operations of the calling program and exchange data between the Kernel at the program.
C. system calls
18) Which of the following buffering strategies are used in interprocess communication?
A. null pointer
B. single message buffer
C. multiple message buffer
D. all of the above
19) The process of splitting of data into equal size partitions over multiple disks is known as …..
A. data stripping
B. array of disks
20) Pipes allow the transfer of data between processors in a ………. manner.
A. last in first out
B. shortest job first
C. multilevel queue
D. first in first out
1) A. an instance of a program in execution
2) C. demand paging
3) B. shared memory, message passing
4) C. active
5) B. non-preemptive scheduling
6) D. durability
7) A. ready queue
8) C. tree directory structure
9) B. Serializability
10) D. lightweight process
11) C. turnaround time
12) A. a set of programs that controls computer working
13) B. kernel-level thread
14) D. hold and wait
15) B. forces only on task to use any resource at any time
16) B. dispatcher
17) C. system calls
18) D. all of the above
19) A. data stripping
20) D. first in first out
Read Next: MCQ on Operating System Fundamental set-10
- MCQ of Operating System with answer set-4
- Solved MCQ of Operating System Set-5
- Solved MCQ of Operating System Set-6
- MCQ Questions on Operating System set-7